The Smyrna School District is located 12 miles north of Dover, Delaware’s capital. This district is known for its high academic standards, successful athletic teams, support of the arts, and its positive staff and student attitudes. Additionally, the district offers employees competitive salaries, health, vision and dental insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, tuition reimbursement, tax-free purchasing, and a Comprehensive Induction Program to assist new teachers to transition. This district’s mission is to ensure that the students of the community are prepared as effectively and as efficiently as possible to become responsible and productive citizens possessing the knowledge, the problem-solving skills, and the positive attitudes necessary to successfully adapt to and function in an ever changing environment.
Not only is the Smyrna School District 12 miles north of Dover, Delaware’s capital, but it is only 1 hour from Philadelphia, 1.5 hours from Washington D.C., and 1 hour from Delaware’s Atlantic Ocean beaches.
The Smyrna School District has a set of long-term goals for the bettering of the district, which it has and is currently acting upon:
- Provide a safe, drug-free, positive school climate that allows students to succeed.
- Standardize the curriculum, instruction, assessment, and staff development, using test data and current research, in order to match the state standards so that all learners will demonstrate competency over challenging subjects.
- Maintain a strong relationship with parents as partners in the educational process of their children.
- Promote community support for the flexibility and adaptability to the school’s changing needs in the area of population growth.
- Utilize the tools of technology by staff and students on a daily basis throughout the Smyrna School District.
- Promote the consensus values of the community as responsibility, compassion, integrity, perseverance, and respect.